AQUACOAT is a one component water based polyurethane finish for the treatment of hard and soft woods, pre-finished wooden floors* and is particularly suitable for cork and pine due to its highly flexible structure. Aquacoat can be used successfully in most domestic (residential) and light commercial application.
* If any doubts exist as to compatibility or adhesion, a test area should be carried out prior to use.
Aquacoat offers many benefits, including:
- Excellent durability
- Highly flexible
- Low odour
- Fast drying and rapid recoating time
- Excellent resistance to most common chemicals
- Easy to apply
- Available in gloss, silk or satin finishes
- Very low VOC’s
- It is important that operatives are conversant with all procedures prior to commencing work.
- Ensure adequate ventilation at all times throughout procedure.
- Please note that grit grades are offered as a guide only and operatives must ensure that the grit grades are suitable for the particular job and that a sufficient ‘key’ is created to enable good adhesion of finish at any stage.
- For best results, floors should sanded back to bare wood. Normally new or refurbished hard/soft wood floors should be final sanded with 120 grit sandpaper or 100grit sandscreen discs in order to obtain a smooth surface.
- Filling of cracks or joints should be carried out prior to final sanding. Woodwise Fillers are recommended for this purpose. (Please contact use for stock)
- All dust and debris should then be removed by vacuum and ‘tack-rag’ method.
Please note: On refurbishment of floors potentially contaminated with traditional wax deposits, or reclaimed flooring with unknown history of previous applications, the sanded surface should be initially treated with 1 or 2 coats of Barrier Seal prior to overcoating with Aquacoat. The use of Barrier Seal will affect wood colour. Please contact our office, your representative or supplier for advice.
Previously finished or factory finished floors which are to be recoated should be thoroughly cleaned and suitably abraded to form a good ‘key’. Micro bevels must also be cleaned and abraded. Make dust free by vacuuming and ‘tack-rag’ method. Please note: It is recommended that trials are undertaken to determine the suitability of this finish on previously finished surfaces.
ENSURE SITE IS PROPERLY VENTILATED AND DUST FREE AT ALL TIMES DURING APPLICATION.
Room temperatures below 10°C, above 30°C and extremes of humidity during application will affect the quality and performance of the finish and should be avoided or prevented against wherever possible. If any doubt exists as to the suitability of this finish for your site, please contact our office, your area representative or supplier for advice before commencing work..
Apply first coat of Aquacoat evenly using a suitable applicator and pad. Padco Applicators are recommended. The use of an applicator and dish is particularly recommended in small or awkward shaped areas as it will afford maximum control of finish during application.
Work with the grain of wood wherever possible, taking care to avoid puddles or ridges, which will detract from the overall appearance. Recoating should not take place until the first coat is dry. A suggested average recoating time is between 1 – 2 hours, dependent on temperature, humidity and thickness of coat*.
If Aquacoat is left to dry for a significant period, e.g. overnight, it will be necessary to abrade the surface using a suitable grade of sandscreen disc or paper (100 – 150 grit) in order to create a ‘key’ for further coats to adhere successfully. If any doubts arise, check adhesion on a small area before extended use. ‘Raised’ grain should also be removed by abrading surface. Always thoroughly remove dust and debris.
TECHNICAL: Drying time: Approx 1 – 2 hours at 20°C Room Temperature/50% Relative INFORMATION Humidity*
Curing time: Light traffic = 12 hours
Normal use = 36 hours
Full cure = 72 hours
For best results coverage should be 14sm per litre (70sm per 5 litres) This coverage rate is offered as a guide only as surface porosity will vary
Sheen level: Available in GLOSS (full gloss), SILK (mid sheen) and SATIN (low sheen) Finish spec: Overcoating existing floors** = 2 coats
Domestic/light commercial traffic = 3 coats
Medium/heavy traffic = 4 coats
Pack size: 5 litre containers
Storage: Store in a cool dry place in temperatures below 10°C and above 40°C. Protect from frost.
Shelf life: Unopened containers - 1 year from date of despatch. For best results opened containers should be used immediately.
Health & For full product health and safety information, please refer to our Safety: Material Health & Safety Data Sheet
Maintenance: When cured (minimum of 3 days) the surface should be treated in accordance with our care and maintenance instructions, available upon request.
* Please note that drying and curing times may be extended or reduced dependent on site conditions. This may, in some circumstances, affect the overall appearance if not properly addressed.
** Trial thoroughly before use to ensure compatibility and adhesion
If you wish to view the MSDS data, enter your details on our downloads page.
The information provided herein is correct to the best of our knowledge. No liability for any errors or opinions is accepted. You should satisfy yourself before applying any of the information contained herein to your particular circumstances. A.D.GODDARD can accept no responsibility for any loss as a result of any person placing reliance on any information contained herein.